Friday, September 25, 2009

Why Critical Thinking is an Important Skill

Earlier this week we had a discussion on why becoming a critical thinker is an important life skill to always be developing. Whether you are asking a friend, adult, politician or even a teacher, like myself, to provide evidence that supports their convictions, critical thinking can help you become better informed and make good decisions as you grow into adulthood.

The problem we looked at was from the 1970's and how the local government dealt with the removal of a whale carcass from their beach. Students in all classes discussed burial, on land or sea, dissection, helicoptering it away as well as ideas I care not to discuss here, although they were creative. There were no students that suggested blowing it up with 1/2 ton of dynamite. That is, however, what the local government decided was the best option with questionable results. Check out the video above as well as the site TheExplodingWhale.com!

WHAT ARE SOME OTHER REASONS THINKING CRITICALLY IS IMPORTANT?

1 comments:

Katie Gray said...

Heyy it's Katie! I hope your year is going well. Hopefully I can come and se your neew classes soon. I was wondering thought if you could send me the link to the one powerpoint you showed us in science class where it had like one word to a slide or picture. I'm trying to do one for school. Thanks